Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Multicultural


My educational experience was not one I would classify as being multicultural. I came from a country that was full of culture but in school mainly everyone was from the same background with the same culture. Everyone was classified as Bahamian. There were perhaps less than ten children in the entire school that was from another country and I was not fortunate enough to have any of them in my classroom setting. Therefore as far as my elementary experience of multicultural I would say none.
My secondary experience was much different I was introduced to multiculturalism. There were several students from different countries with different nationality, culture, ethnicity and race. At that time the experience was one of social action. Everyone was taught to work together as a team despite our differences and solve cultural differences through group and collaborative approaches. This social action approach not only brought us together but allowed us to focus on an appreciation for one another versus focusing on how different we were.
If I had an opportunities to go back I would chose all of the approaches and try to in cooperate each into the learning environment. Reason is that each is so vital to the understanding and gaining an appreciation of culture. Each should be taught from the early stages of education to ensure more appreciation into latter years. I was not introduced to cultural differences because it was non existence. Consequently it still should have been introduced into the curriculum. Although we were all the same that did not limited what could have been learned and taught.
Then when I was at the secondary stage of education others as well as I were such in amazement to see and interact directly with culture. Multicultural should not be a shock but it was. Teachers should be more flexible and open minded to culture. A teacher could stagnate or broaden an individual’s insight and appreciation to culture. Therefore teachers should be more culturally sensitive. Have an appreciation day where not only students are involved but others from the community can be invited and contribute a part of their culture into the experience. If this was done in my elementary school I would have something to reflect back on. I would have been able to say there was not much culture in my school but I got introduced to culture in my community. The earlier culture is introduced the more advantage it will gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment